Monday, April 29, 2013

PBS Online learning



1. Compare and Contrast each documentary. What was similar or different from the first one (Growing Up Online) made in 2008 to the newer one (Digital Nation) filmed in 2010 ?
Growing Up Online (2008) focused on the following major topics: kids creating online personas, virtual worlds, social networking, and cyberbullying. Digital Nation filmed in 2010 focused on the major topics: MIT and Stanford research on multi-tasking, South Korea's addiction to gaming, how writing skills are suffering with our children today, virtual worlds, and how the U.S. Army uses virtual games to recruit young people. In general my impression was that the films were on different topics for the most part, the first one focusing on teens and adolescents, the latter focusing on technology and its affects on people in general.

Growing Up Online was produced by Rachel Dretzin and Douglas Rushkoff. It highlighted many teens. One such team was Autumn Edows, whose real name is Jessica. Jessica's parents were unaware that she was hosting a web site with a new persona where she posed in provocative clothing with a goth image. She admitted she enjoyed the comments and looked forward to the traffic and attention she recieved on her web site. When Jessica's parents received complaints from other parents they forced her to delete the site. In the end however, they allowed Jessica to reinstate the web site. Another teen Sara was also featured on the film. Sara is an anorexic who used the Internet to connect with other anorexics and find information about how to be anorexic. Ryan Halligan was another teen featured on the video, who committed suicide because a summer of bullying from his peers. His father talked about how he tried to piece together why Ryan took his own life, after the fact, by getting in touch with an online friend of Ryan's who had posted online information about suicide. This film also focused on teens stating they no longer read books, that many read spark notes to prepare for tests. Teens also admitted that on their social network sites they have hundreds of friends, but they don't really know who most of their 'friends' are. Parents spoke about the issue of cyberbullying and cyberstalking. One feature I thought was telling in the film was the PTO mom (Evan) who shared information to other parents in her son's school about underage kids in their community drinking, partying, and vomitting. As a result, half of the parents appreciated the knowledge, and half told her to 'mind her own business'. Her relationship with her son Cam suffered after the incident. Many parents stated they miss the communication with their kids, and many kids spend several hours in their rooms on the computer.

Digital Nation, filmed in 2010, talked quite a bit about multi-tasking. Research occurred at MIT and Stanford. MIT found that multi-taskers did not complete any task well, and that students writing has suffered as a result. Stanford's results showed that multi-taskers are terrible at every aspect of multi-tasking. An interesting study at Stanford took MRI scans of student's brains reading a book and doing a google search. The google search showed more brain activity, which the researcher argued showed that more activity was necessary to perform the task, verses reading a book where the brain functions more efficiently. Another topic covered in this film was the topic of gaming. South Korea has a gaming addiction problem. 90% of kids play games daily in South Korea. In South Korea kids are taught about digital citizenship beginning in the second grade. World of Warcraft, a multi-player game, allows people to connect all over the Internet. It allows its gamers to play in a virtual world, using fantasy and imagination. Fans attend Warcraft conferences sponsored by the gaming companies, where they meet their online friends. Some fans are addicted to Warcraft. Second Life  is an immersive 3D virtual universe. Rosedale, the creator, states that virtual worlds are a new reality for humans. Douglas visited the IBM office, which he described as a ghost town, because most employees work from home. The last major topic of this film discussed how the U.S. military uses games to recruit young people. Some parents object to this. A school in NY uses games as a lense for all curriculum to engage students. This is a radical change from most schools. One last thought the film asked the viewer to think about was, maybe its too early to know the effects of technology on our brains and life in general. "Technology isn't good or bad, its powerful and complicated".

I enjoyed watching both films and thought the content and message were certainly relavant and important topics for discussion today.
 
2. Your thoughts on multitasking. Do you agree? Can you multitask? Do you disagree with the video on the topic of multitasking? What do you think our students think about multitasking today?
I multi-task. I can drive and talk on the phone successfully, although I do admit that sometimes I may arrive someplace in the car and think, wow I got their fast and don’t recall driving over all the roads. I can also watch a movie or TV show and text, or read email. I will admit that I can’t concentrate on anything important and multi-task. For example, when I am doing the readings for this class, I sit in a quiet room and read. I can’t have other distractions otherwise I don’t comprehend what I'm reading. I thought I was a good multi-tasker prior to the movie, but now I see it differently. If I stop and think about it, I can’t multi-task and do any of the tasks well. When you multi-task you are not concentrating on any one thing 100%. I agree with the Sherry Turkle (featured Professor on the video) when she stated that her students are distracted and that multi-tasking is working against them. I think our students today think they are great multi-taskers, but in reality they are not focusing 100% on any one task.


3. Is there an addiction happening in society today with technology or is it just a new way of living? Should we be concerned?
Many people are addicted to technology today, in my opinion. Just like other addictive illnesses, people who are prone to addiction can become addicted to video games, virtual worlds, and other technologies. People who are well adjusted can use technology responsibly on a limited basis and live normal, healthy lives.  Unfortunately some people do become addicted and use technology as a major force in their lives. The first thing students do when they come into my class is go straight to playing games, even though I tell them every day that they are not allowed to play games in my class. I do think technology addiction is a concern for our future. Anything done to excess should be of concern. I was astounded by the problem in South Korea. The fact that they had to set up 3 Internet Rescue Schools for students sounds the alarm. Technology is wonderful, but I do think we need to be concerned about its addictive nature.
Technology addiction ...

 
4. Do video games serve a purpose in education or are they a waste of time?
 
SimCity, which is a video game, offers free lesson plans and an online teachers network. The company is promoting their games into education to motivate students in science and math. I hadn't given this topic much thought prior to this blog, but I do see the benefits of using some video games in the classroom. After researching the topic a bit, I found some examples where games were succesfully used in elementary and middle school classrooms to engage students and improve technology skills. I am going to have do more research on this topic to form a more educated opinion. My first thought is that games can be a positive influence in education on a limited basis. Any games used in the classroom must also be tied to the Common Core Standards; this is a must. I don't agree with the concept of the middle school in NY where games are used in every curriculum to teach students. Students learn in various ways, and games may not be appropriat for all topics, and for all learning styles.

5. Do you believe that digital tools, such as google tools and technology in general, can save schools that are struggling?
The article 50 Little-Known Ways Google Docs Can Help in Education was very enlightening on the topic of google tools, as I am not very familiar with them. I'm not sure that google docs or technology alone can save struggling schools. From what I understand about google docs, it is free to use, and would certainly be beneficial in school districts with financial issues, so it would certainly be an option. However, I don't think technology is the answer to saving struggling schools. This topic would make a great research project! Having no first hand experience working in a struggling district, my gutt answer is that to improve struggling schools the district would most likely need to focus on the basics such as reading, writing, and mathematics. Could technology help in the areas of math and writing, absolutely. Programs such as Math In Focus, which offer an online piece for students homework, is a great way to reinforce math facts. Struggling schools could also benefit by using youtube videos and other shared information that they can get free, and online, verses having to buy books, if they didn't have enough money for books. Another point to remember is that typically when schools are struggling financially, technology is the first department to suffer cuts. Each year that our school budget did not pass, our technology budget was cut.
 
6. How did what you watched in the two videos support your feelings about technology or how did it change your views?
I found both videos very interesting. Generally speaking I agreed with most of what I saw in the videos. I am a technology teacher and therefore love to use technology, learn new technologies, and find ways to engage my students with the use of technology. I do think however, that today's students, and people in general, are too connected to their technology such as facebook, smart phones, blackberry's, etc. Today's children are loosing out on face to face contact, and good communication skills. Technology has, however, given us many advantages in today's society. Technological advances in medicine, military advancements, and food production have helped immensely in our country, and in developing countries around the world. As a result of watching the videos my views have not changed. I am pro-technology, but do think that people need to put it aside and take breaks; disconnect themselves sometimes. The issues raised in the video are certainly important and relevant to consider. Many people, especially younger people, are becoming too obsessed with their technology. Technology is here to stay. Its important that these important questions are raised, studied, and addressed.
 
7. Are kids and adults today ruining their digital footprints by sharing too much information online without realizing that it may be detrimental to their future? Should they care?
People today have a large amount of information on the Internet. I do agree that people, especially teens, share way too much information online without realizing the effects. Colleges and companies alike check potential digital data on students and employees online. Anyone can search and find people's names, addresses, age, relatives, and other information. I was surprised when I googled myself, how often my name came up in regards to the school where I worked. I have a facebook account with limited information, and specifically do not list my place of employment. However If someone wanted to find out where I worked it would be easy to do. I do think that sharing too much information can certainly come back to harm you in the future, especially if the information is in any way inappropriate. I think everyone should care about negative information about themselves. Unfortunately young people don't seem to think about the future. For the kids today everything is about immediate gratification.

8.“Stranger Danger” and predator fears are often overblown by the media on shows such as Datelines “To Catch a Predator”. What are the real dangers of technology in this day and age?

I think there is a real problem with predators online. The FBI web site has some interesting information on child predators. In my opinion this issue is not overblown; parents and children alike need to be aware of online predators. The more information dispersed via the media and online is helpful. People can choose to search out the information, or not. I live in a small town. Three years ago the 2 resource officers from our middle and high school met a child predator at the Manchester airport, because one of our young high school students had met him online, where he posed as a 17 year old boy. She was fooled by this individual and had put herself in a very dangerous situation.

In addition to online predators, the other dangers kids face with technology is what they bring on themselves, as stated in the Growing Up Online video. Many kids today post information willingly and without thought to what or who will see this information. Sara made the statement in the video that she sent a picture of herself without all of her clothes, just because a boy asked her to. She said she didn't think much about it because after all it was just a picture.  People today are becoming addicted, edgy, and can't focus as was stated in both videos. As this article entitled The Dangers of Technology states in What the Health
Magazine, there are health issues developing with the overuse of technology, such as eye strain, from staring at screens, and heart disease and obesity as a result of sitting at computers for excessive amounts of time.

Overall Reflection:
Please add anything else you feel would explain your views about the videos and how they relate to educational technology. What was your favorite part of either video? Why? Most interesting?


I really enjoyed the videos. I think they both covered relavant and important topics. It is always interesting when documentaries interview real teens and people, to get the true prespective. I guess I didn't realize so many kids were hiding so much from their parents. Don't get me  wrong, I'm not naive, I have a 22 year old and 19 year old, and I know they keep plenty from me, but I also know they are not hosting web sites with inappropriate pictures of themselves, and they don't spend hours upon hours in their rooms shutting themselves away from their family. I thought it was a shame that some of the kids shut their parents out of their lives, just because the parents were trying to be good parents, and keep their kids safe. The information in the videos was helpful and I can use some of the statistics and major points in my online safety and digital citizenship discussions with my students. I'm not sure I had a favorite part of any video, as I was impressed and felt both videos were informative. I liked the second video where Rachel and Douglas traveled to different parts of our country, and South Korea. I think they did a nice job of showing me the global perspective on technology and its effects. There seemed to be more of a personal touch where they both narrated the video, and Rachel talked about her own family.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment